Thursday, March 10, 2011

Braised short ribs

I've always wanted to braise something...don't know why, just always seemed like something I wanted to try. So I recently had bought some short ribs and figured those would be perfect for braising. I did some recipe searches and found a few that were intriguing so I sort of combined them and the result was mouthwatering, fall off the bone, yummy goodness.

Here's the recipe I ended up using:

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 pounds short ribs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped (I used more carrots because, well, I love cooked carrots)
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
3 sprigs fresh thyme (I used dried and also added in some dried rosemary)
1/2 cup honey
1 cup dry red wine
2 cups beef stock

For the short ribs: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large casserole heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper and brown on all sides. Remove the short ribs and set aside. Add the onion, carrot, and seasonings to the pan and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Pour in the honey, red wine, and stock and bring it to a boil. Return the meat to the pan; the liquid should just about cover the meat. Place the pot in the oven and put on the lid loosely to allow the steam to escape and the sauce to thicken. Cook until the meat is very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.



I then served it with some rice and peas, though I think some mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash (for a lighter option) would have been really great to soak up the jous.

Even though it seems labor intensive, it really only took about 20 minutes to get everything going and then you just let the oven do the majority of the work. It was a great meal for a rainy Sunday and the kitchen smelled fantastic. Looking forward to entertaining with this dish sometime soon!




Bon appetite!

No comments: